Imago Dei – being present in the Presence
Place: Balatonszárszó, Hungary
Christian pastoral care and counselling is constantly changing due to outside impacts and internal transformations For this reason it is highly important to stop from time to time and reflect on the road already taken in the light of the original goals and the new challanges.
A biblical picture will help our reflection at the Conference in 2021 : So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)
What does the theological concept of the image of God (Imago Dei) mean for pastoral care? Who is the pastoral counsellor as the image of God and what is he or she called for? How does the client created by God convey the image of the Creator? How can pastoral care be the Image of God?
At our conference we will turn our attention to three main topics. The first will shed light on the spiritual traditions recent pastoral counselling parctices draw on. The focus of the second topic would be how the pastoral counsellor can connect to the presence of God, and the question of how he or she can relate to the client in this spiritual space. The third topic would focus on the new balance between psychological and spiritual work in pastoral care.
At our conference we would like to put an emphasis on the building of new professional relations, sharing of experiences and common prayer so that we can experience the presence of God and His life changing power that leads us to new roads.
The professional part of the conference will take three days with three main speakers, reviews and workshops that would present achievements of scientific research, methodological tools and training practices related to the topics below..
Three days, three main topics:
- Spiritual traditions as sources of pastoral care parctices
- The importance of the persence of God in pastoral care
- Searching for a new balance of psychology and spirituality in pastoral care
Short presentations and workshops are mostly welcome in the following topics:
- Can listening to the presence of God be an important impact factor of pastoral care?
- The appearence, the growing of Imago Dei in the client, the pastoral counsellor, the counselling and the community of the counsellors.
- Measurement of efficacy in pastoral care.
- How can you teach listening to the persence of God in the training of pastoral counsellors?
- After the former psychological orientations we are facing a rediscovery of spiritual approaches in pastoral care in Europe today . How can this movement of humanistic pastoral care towards spirituality be described, how is a new balance developed? What are the characteristics of this process and how is it promoted?
- How can a pastoral counsellor look at him or herself, at the client and the process as ’Imago Dei’?
- What can a client experience in the personal relationship with the pastoral counsellor that he/she could not experinece in other helping ralationships? The significance of spiritual space in pastoral care.
- The spiritual self knowledge of the pastoral counsellor, his relation with God is the source of spiritual space in pastoral care. How can the continuous work on the own personal relationship with God be included in the training and in the practice of pastoral counselors?