Excursions on Saturday 26 August 2017
´FEELING TIME AND SPACE´
Registration for excursions will take place after 15 May 2017. All registered conference participants will get a registration form for excursions by email.
Free bus transportation to Helsinki from the Conference venue at 12.30. Return by commuter train R at your pleasure from the Helsinki main railway station, train ticket 7,20€. Disembark at Ainola train stop or Järvenpää railway station.
Conference stuerts will help participants in Helsinki to find their way to these sights:
Modern church architecture in Helsinki
- Kamppi Chapel of Silence, Simonkatu 7, 00100 Helsinki. Guided tour in English for conference participants at 13.30 http://www.helsinginkirkot.fi/en/churches/kamppi-chapel-of-silence
- Temppeliaukio church (Rock Church), Lutherinkatu 3, 00100 Helsinki. Evening prayer in English for conference participants (open also to the public) at 17.00. http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/sights-and-attractions/temppeliaukio-church-rock-church
Between East and West
- Suomenlinna maritime fortress, World Heritage site. Accessible by ferry transport from the Market Square, travel time 15-20 minutes. Guided walking tour in English for conference participants at 14.00 included. http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/
- Uspenski Orthodox Cathedral, Pormestarinrinne 1. Guided tour in English for conference participants at 17.00, with the option to attend the evening service, Vigilia, at 18.00. http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/sights-and-attractions/uspenski-orthodox-cathedral
Finnish sauna culture and modern sauna architecture
- Löyly Sauna, Hernesaarenranta 4. http://www.loylyhelsinki.fi/en/front-page/ Price of 19€/person included in the Conference fee. Bathing time 2 hours, 14.00-16.00.
“At the Sources of Finnish culture” A guided walking tour in English in Järvenpää
- Visit to the homes of the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius http://www.ainola.fi/eng_index.php and the Finnish writer Juhani Aho and artist Venny Soldan-Brofeldt. Guided tour fee included. Start from the Conference venue at 13.00, return at 16.30. Walking distance appr. 1,5 km.
Free afternoon in Helsinki
- You can take the free bus to Helsinki at 12.30 and return by train at your pleasure from the Helsinki main railway station, R-trains, 7,20€. Disembark at Ainola train stop or Järvenpää railway station.
Information about other sights and attractions at http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en and at the Conference venue.